The Information File is an old-style card file that includes approximately 180,000 cards indexing a variety of published sources by personal names, corporate names, place names, and subject headings. This card file is not accessible online or in any electronic form.
To consult the Information File, visit the Library and Research Center or contact the library at library [at] mohistory [dot] org or (314) 746-4500 (during our open hours).
The following are among the sources indexed in the Information File:
- Necrology scrapbooks contain photocopies of death notices, obituaries, and probate announcements clipped from St. Louis newspapers circa 1880s-1970s.
** New! Some Necrology Scrapbook names are now searchable in the Genealogy Index!
- Historical journals published by the Missouri Historical Society dating back to 1880. These journals were successively titled Missouri Historical Society Collections, Glimpses of the Past, Bulletin of the Missouri Historical Society, Gateway Heritage, and Gateway.
- Vertical files that consist primarily of photocopies of articles from St. Louis newspapers and other published material.
- Regional genealogical and historical journals including the Missouri Historical Review, the St. Louis Genealogical Society Quarterly, and the Missouri State Genealogical Association Journal.
- Topical scrapbooks that contain articles clipped primarily from 20th-century St. Louis newspapers on various topics, including churches, schools, architecture, businesses, hospitals, and women.